The Fife Rifle Volunteers

An unknown Rifle Volunteer in the uniform worn between 1863-1875

Rifle Volunteer

The 1st Administrative Battalion Fifeshire Rifle Volunteers, Headquarters St.Andrews, was formed 21st September 1860 and attached to it were the following corps

  1. Dunfermline (2 companies) - raised in November 1859
  2. Cupar (2 companies) - raised in March 1860
  3. Kilconquhar, later East Anstruther (1 company) - raised in April 1860
  4. Colinsburgh (1 company) - raised in April 1860
  5. St. Andrews (1 company) - raised in April 1860
  6. Strathleven (1 company) - raised in August 1860, in 1872 2 companies the first at Leslie and the second at Falkland but the latter not recognised till 1880
  7. Kirkcaldy (1 company) - raised in April 1860
  8. Auchterderran (1 company) - raised in April 1860, headquarters moved to Lochgelly in 1870
  9. Newburgh (1 sub division) - raised in July 1860, increased to one company June 1862

From 1861 till 1873 the 1st Kinross Corps was attached to the battalion

In 1880 the battalion was retitled the 1st Fifeshire Rifle Volunteers, with headquarters at St. Andrews, and twelve companies.

In 1887 the title of 6th (Fifeshire) V.B. The Black Watch was assumed. In 1900-01 the battalion made some changes as numbers had decreased in Cupar and increased in Kirkaldy and Dunfermline. The final distribution before the Territorial Reforms was

St Andrews University Collection has a photograph of George Rodger in the uniform of the 1870s here

more soon